Title: Heavenly Wisdom
Scripture: James 3 : 13-18
Theme: Let this wisdom/mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus.
- Wisdom which loves & serves the _____________ _____________.
- Two symptoms: bitter jealous, selfish ambition.
- When Christians ignore the Lord, are willing to hurt others as the “cost of business” to get what they want, it exposes their wisdom’s source.
- Wisdom which loves & serves the _______________.
- It beautifies those it governs, with the beauty of holiness, v. 17.
- To encourage our growth in Christ & His wisdom, briefly ponder its flowering In believers’ lives.
Questions for Study:
- A thumbnail definition of godly wisdom: using knowledge aright; using knowledge/skill to accomplish the Lord’s will.
- How do the following examples reflect the wisdom James condemns: Genesis 3:1-6; II Samuel 13:1-6; Matthew 2:7-12?
- How do James’ terms bitter jealousy, selfish ambition clue us in that the sinful self lies at the center of the sinful wisdom?
- How does Romans 12:2 relate to James instruction on wisdom here?
- How do the books of Proverbs and of Ecclesiastes?
- What is the beginning of the wisdom from above? See Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7; 9:10. Paul describes this a different way: Colossians 2:1-3.
- How do godly wisdom’s qualities (vv. 13b, 17-18) Paul lists produce such helpful, loving fruit?