Title: Honor Entrusted, Honor Earned
Scripture: Exodus 20:12
Theme: The Lord directs us to look up to those He has set over us.
- Some roots of _______________________ authority.
- Parents didn’t dream this up to be boss over us.
- Honoring parents’, rulers’ authority promotes familial, social wellbeing.
- Some responsibilities of ______________-_______________ authority.
- Honor your father & your mother, that your days…
- In adult children, honor means loving reverence & other forms of respect
- Some results of honoring ______________-_______________ authority.
- Through learning to honor parents’ authority, we learn to respect authority outside our home…
- Through honoring parents’ authority, we inherit their culture, learning…
Questions for Application:
- Even if we have a string of academic degrees as long as our arm, do we ever outgrow Proverbs 3:5-6?
- Why not?
- Solomon has other wise counsel to young folks in Ecclesiastes 12.
- How is an education a stewardship for which we’ll account to God?
- How does graduation in some ways fulfill Jesus’ principle in Luke 19:15-26?
- What are some benefits of learning to respect authority in our youth?
- Why did God choose parents to be the ones to teach us to honor authority?
- What are some ways we can help fathers to carry out the responsibilities?
- From a Christian father’s perspective, what might be the best gift his child could give him?