Title: NO Playing Favorites!
Text: James 2:1-13
Theme: As much as it lies within us, God wants us to follow His standards in dealing with others.
- It honors the ___________ of Christ, the Lord of Glory.
- Partiality, favoritism undermine Jesus’ authority and reputation.
- Treating people fairly credits our Lord’s Name.
- It honors _____________ realities God has established.
- God, not man, is the measure of things.
- Rather than being conformed to this world, God transforms our discernment & treatment of others by renewing our minds in spiritual realities.
- It honors the ________________ of God’s Law.
- Just as God is One, so His will is one, vv. 8-12.
- Disciples can’t cherry pick which Scriptures we’ll follow, or ignore.
Questions for Further Reflection:
- Name some contemporary examples of partiality, favoritism both as seen in the Church & as seen in our American culture.
- James 2:1-13 speaks to racism, classism & a common social & journalistic practice of labeling people so as to generate biased treatment of them.
- How does viewing humans as products of evolution promote forms of partiality? How does viewing humans as God’s image bearers mitigate that?
- What do the following Scriptures say regarding partiality? Deuteronomy 16:18-20; 24:14-15, 17-18; John 7:14-24; Galatians 3:28; Ephesians 2:11-22.
- What will we do to ensure we fairly treat others?