Title: Agreeing With God
Text: James 1:19-27
Theme: Humbly Heed God’s Word
- __________ to receive God’s Word.
- Jesus summed it up this way: take care how you hear.
- he warns us to repent of hindrances to hearing God’s Word.
- __________ to learn and practice His will and way.
- Vv. 23-25 essentially contrast the intentions of God’s Word’s hearers.
- The Doer of God’s Word hears it intending to heed it and obey it.
- __________ that reflects God’s character.
- Vv. 26-27
- James cites three practices which reveal a heart for God, true religion.
Questions for Further Reflection:
- How do v. 19’s admonitions foster a closer hearing of God’s Word? How would our lives be different if we memorized and reviewed v. 19 daily?
- Jeremiah directs God’s people, sow not among thorns (see Jer. 4:1-4). Jesus’ Parable of the Soils picks up on this, explaining the thorns’ effects upon the fruitfulness of God’s Word in a person’s life (Luke 8:7, 14).
- How are all filthiness & rampant wickedness related to this? How does tolerating these sins in our lives make us cold, disinterested toward God’s Word, worship, spiritual things?
- James describes two people in vv. 22-25, hearer, doer. How are they different in their approach to the Word? What does each look for out of his/her encounter with the Word? Might one liken their difference to those who are observers/spectators in a war & those who are combatants? How? Which are you? What are you looking for when you come to God’s Word?
- How do the three indicators of “true religion” reflect likeness to Christ and unlikeness to the religious leaders whom He called hypocrites? James visits these themes again later on: tongue, 3:1ff; desperately needy, 2:14ff; holiness of life, 3:13-4:12.