Title: Are We Really from Mars and Venus?
Text: Ephesians 5:15-33
Theme: Healthy marriages love, honor, and obey Christ above all else.
- Godly submission is our ____________ .
- General idea of submission: to arrange one’s life under another.
- Paul calls for submission to one another out of reverence for Christ
- A wife’s submission in Christ to her ____________ .
- Paul illustrates this submission’s pattern and measure, vv. 22-24
- v. 33 sums up marital responsibilities.
- A husband submits to Christ to love his wife as ____________ loves His.
- Christ directs husbands to love with His agape love.
- Paul applies his comparison of Christian marriage to Christ’s marriage.
Questions for Further Reflection:
- What excuses have some husbands given for not loving their wives in the self-sacrificial way Christ loved His Church, per vv. 25-33? What did they gain by this? What did they lose by this?
- What excuses have some wives given for not submitting to their husbands as to the Lord? vv. 22-24, 33. What did they gain by this? What did they lose?
- What is to be the ultimate motivation for relating to our spouse in the way God prescribes here?
- How do healthy marriages, a la Ephesians 5, stabilize a community, culture?
- What does co-habitation lack that marriage has?